WHAT’S IN THE VIDEO?
An audio test, unboxing and review of the Maono AU-A04 USB Condenser microphone kit with angle-poise boom arm, shock mount & pop filter.
10% DISCOUNT CODE
Visit http://bit.ly/maono-mic and use the code ‘TDCatTech’ for 10% off this microphone kit.
This is a reasonably standard budget condenser mic. It’s comparable to others that I’ve tested on the channel. The difference here is that they’re selling this as part of a kit together with a boom arm, shock mount etc. The question is, does this make good value for money or should you buy all the bits separately?
- Crisp, clear audio with the usual bright treble on mics of this ilk.
- At £50, this is exceptionally good value for money.
- Nice to have everything you need in one convenient kit. It makes a perfect beginners kit or gift to see if this is a hobby they want to pursue.
- The microphone is metal construction and feels sturdy.
- This is one of the best looking mics at this price point.
- The pop filter is basic but works well with minimal loss of top-end.
- The boom arm and bracket are just too fragile. You’ll need to take care when moving the mic around. Don’t be rough.
- I noticed some minor distortion when listening on reference headphones.
- The shock mount or stand do very little to prevent pickup of noise in the mic.
- Don’t be sold by the 192kHz specs. It’s totally unneeded and fairly meaningless on a product of this quality. Stick to 48kHz.
- The USB port is always a point of weakness in my opinion.
- The stand is shorter than many so it may not reach on a larger desk.
ADDITIONAL AUDIO OUTTAKES
For the money, you really can’t go wrong. If you’re starting out in recording, there is little point investing more until you know for sure this is something you want to pursue. By that point, you will have learned about where you need to invest your money and what type of stand and mic you might want to get next.
I wish Maono had pushed the price up by £10 here or so and included a more sturdy boom arm stand. To me, the fact that this is a kit is such a wonderful selling point. However, it’s let down by accessories that really seem like an afterthought.
That said, a mic is all about how it sounds, and this sounds absolutely fine. Check out the video or the outtakes about to hear exactly how the mic sounds. I think you’ll be impressed. If you don’t need the rest of the gear, you might be able to find a better deal, but as a kit, this is spot on.
NOTE: This product was provided for review, but all opinions are my own. No content is scripted by third parties.